c-TaP Common Core Mathematics Toolkit
Application to host c-TaP Common Core Toolkit
Are you interested in hosting a professional development day in your school, district, or state focused on the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics? Request the Common Core toolkit!
The Common Core Mathematics Toolkit is a one day professional development based on the Common Core in Mathematics. The toolkit includes facilitators and a full day of activities, discussions, videos, and tasks for a specific grade band (elementary, middle, or high school). Facilitators are classroom teachers trained at Park City Mathematics Institute, ready to engage fellow teachers in a day long PD focused on the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics.
Activities within the PD day vary by grade band but are interactive and focus on four goals:
- See structure in the Common Core Standards.
- Deeply explore the language used in the Common Core Standards.
- Understand the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- Analyze classroom tasks for connections to the Common Core Standards.
If your application to host the Toolkit is successful you will receive trained facilitators at your PD site with all the materials necessary for a day program at a specific grade band (elementary, middle, or high school). Ideal workshop size is between 20 and 30 participants, all in the same grade band. More than one grade band program could be run simultaneously for groups with at least 10 participants in each grade band. We cannot accomidate requests for less than 10 participants. All participants should be full time classroom teachers or coaches. Venue, refreshments, tables, chairs, an easel with chart paper, and AV equipment including computer projecting equipment with sound (either external speakers or connection to a sound system), and a projection surface (screen or blank wall) are the responsibility of the hosting organization.
The cost of the day long Common Core Toolkit is $200 per participant.
The Ad Hoc Committee of CBMS on Teachers as Professionals (c-TaP) representing:
- American Federation of Teachers
- Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences
- IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute
- Institute for Mathematics & Education
- Math for America
- National Assessment Governing Board
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Contact Ellen Whitesides, director of Common Core projects at IM&E with questions.