Toward Greater Focus and Coherence: an Illustrative Mathematics Common Core Conference
May 26–28, 2013
Registration has reached capacity. Please check back for future conference announcements.
This conference will deepen participants understanding of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics through three types of sessions:
- Large group presentations: Participants will hear from lead author of the standards, Bill McCallum, as well as classroom teachers implementing the standards in their classrooms now, and university mathematicians describing the mathematical focus in the Common Core.
- Grade Band sessions: Teacher facilitated break-out sessions will focus on the content of different grade bands, and mirror the focus of the standards by going in depth into a small number of standards, or a cluster. Participants will have the opportunity to chose break-out sessions at any grade band.
- Small group activity: Participants will work in small groups to design an activity they can immediately use in their classroom, based on a task or set of two tasks from the Illustrative Mathematics website. Participants will work with the grade band they select at registration. This process will also give teachers ideas for developing more activities around tasks in their future lesson planning.
Our philosophy of professional development is that a wide variety of stake holders should take leadership roles in the implementation of these new standards, and the mathematics taught in classrooms. Our conferences are run by classroom teachers, mathematicians, coaches, administrators, district and state math experts, and math educators collaborating together. We value the input from different expertise in conversations about mathematics and classroom implementation.
Registration fee is $400 for participants who BOTH register prior to March 31, 2013 and pay prior to April 15, 2013. Registration is $500 for those who register after March 31st or for participants who pay after April 15th but register before. Registration includes lunch on Sunday, breakfast and lunch on Monday, and breakfast and lunch on Tuesday. Checks and purchase orders made out to the University of Arizona accepted. Contact Alejandra Gaona for questions about registration fees and payment.
Out of town participants are encouraged to book accommodations at the Marriott Tucson University Park. Contact Olga Felde at (520)629-2824 to secure the reduced rate of $99/night or you may make a reservation online through April 25. Rate is based upon availibilty.
The conference schedule will be:
Sunday May 26th 11:30pm – 5:00pm
Monday May 27th 8:30am – 4:30pm
Tuesday May 28th 8:30am - 1:00pm
Because participants will produce an activity related to a specific task aligned to the Common Core, all participants should bring a laptop or device to get online during the conference.
- Download the tentative agenda (PDF)
- Marcus Achord, St. Charles Public Schools, Louisiana
- Ashli Black, Illustrative Mathematics
- Deb Hughes Hallett, University of Arizona
- William McCallum, University of Arizona
- Becky Pittard, Florida State University, FCR STEM
- Donna Rishor, Tucson Unified School District
- Ellen Whitesides, University of Arizona
- Vicki Balentine, University of Arizona
- Alejandra Gaona, University of Arizona
- Marguerite Sallet, University of Arizona
- Shane Smith, University of Arizona