Mathematics Common Core in the Classroom
March 1–3, 2013
Syracuse, New York
- Download the tentative
Illustrative Mathematics/IM&E has partnered with OCM BOCES to organize this workshop. Thank you to our BOCES partner! To register as a BOCES teacher, please do not fill out the IM&E form, but register through your district.
This conference will deepen participants understanding of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics through three types of sessions:
- Large group presentations: Participants will hear from lead author of the standards, Bill McCallum, as well as classroom teachers implementing the standards in their classrooms now, and university mathematicians describing the mathematical focus in the Common Core.
- Break-out sessions: Teacher facilitated break-out sessions will focus on the major work of different grade bands, and mirror the focus of the standards by going in depth into a small number of standards, or a cluster. Participants will have the opportunity to chose break-out sessions at any grade band.
- Small group activity: Participants will work in small groups to design an activity they can immediately use in their classroom, based on a task or set of two tasks from the Illustrative Mathematics website. Participants will work with the grade band they select at registration. This process will also give teachers ideas for developing more activities around tasks in their future lesson planning.
Our philosophy of professional development is that a wide variety of stake holders should take leadership roles in the implementation of these new standards, and the mathematics taught in classrooms. Our conferences are run by classroom teachers, mathematicians, coaches, administrators, district and state math experts, and math educators collaborating together. We value the input from different expertise in conversations about mathematics and classroom implementation.
Registration fee is $400 for payment received prior to February 1, 2013, $500 after February 1st, or for registrants who bring payment to the conference, but register before. Registration includes a reception on Friday, breakfast and lunch on Saturday, and breakfast plus a reception on Sunday. Checks and purchase orders made out to the University of Arizona accepted. Contact Alejandra Gaona for questions about registration fees and payment.
The conference will be held in Syracuse, New York at the DoubleTree hotel.
Out of town participants are encouraged to book accommodations at the conference hotel. Call (315)432-0200 and reference NTC for more information.
The conference schedule will be:
Friday March 1st 4:30pm – 6:30pm
Saturday March 2nd 8:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday March 3rd 8:00am - 1:30pm
- Download the tentative
Because participants will produce an activity related to a specific task aligned to the Common Core, and in order to complete research using online resources, all participants should bring a laptop or device to get online during the conference.
- Ashli Black, Illustrative Mathematics
- Jacqueline Burns, Fulton School District, Georgia
- Brian Cohen, Fayetteville-Manlius School District, New York
- William McCallum, University of Arizona
- Cody Patterson, University of Arizona
- Ellen Whitesides, University of Arizona (chair)
- Dana Corcoran, OCM BOCES
- Jeff Craig, OCM BOCES
- Karen Culotti, CNY Teacher Center
- Alejandra Gaona, University of Arizona
- Tina Goodnough, DoubleTree East Syracuse, New York
- Shane Smith, University of Arizona
- OCM BOCES
- Oswego BOCES
- Centeral New York/Oswego County Teacher Center