Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals
Common Core Toolkit December Authors Workshop
December 10, 2011
The Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals is made up of representatives from 12 organizations:
- American Federation of Teachers
- Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences
- IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute
- Institute for Mathematics & Education
- Math for America
- National Assessment Governing Board
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Educational Association
The workday will be spent reviewing activities created by the elementary author team, giving feedback to these activities, and brainstorming ways that they can be adjusted to a middle school audience. These activities will then become part of the Common Core Toolkit, a professional development day made by teachers, facilitated by teachers, for a target audience of teachers. This nationwide effort aims to support the work of teachers trying to implement the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics in their classrooms.
The goals of the Toolkit are to help teachers:
- See structure in the standards: progressions, ties, streams, and pinnacle standards.
- Deeply explore the language used in the standards.
- Understand the Standards for Mathematical Practice and see ways to implement them in the classroom
- Analyze classroom tasks for connections to the standards and see ways in which they can be adapted to the standards
The workshop will be held at the Institute for Mathematics and Education, Gould-Simpson building, Room 837. Breakfast and/or lunch will be catered at the beginning of each half-day session.
Starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 10.
- Download the agenda (PDF)