Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals
Common Core Toolkit Authors Workshop I
September 17, 2011
The Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals is made up of representatives from 12 organizations:
- American Federation of Teachers
- Association of State Supervisors of Mathematics
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences
- IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute
- Institute for Mathematics & Education
- Math for America
- National Assessment Governing Board
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Educational Association
The goal of the meeting is to come up with an initial framework for a one-day workshop about the Common Core (the Toolkit), available to schools, districts, states, and other organizations that might be conducting professional development activities next summer.
The goals of the Toolkit are to help teachers:
- See structure in the standards: progressions, ties, streams, and pinnacle standards.
- Compare text of the content standards with text of current state standards: examine similarities and differences (e.g., when CCSS standards get beneath the surface of school mathematics).
- Understand the practice standards and see ways to implement them in the classroom
- Analyze classroom tasks for connections to the standards and see ways in which they can be adapted to the standards
The workshop will be held at the Institute for Mathematics and Education, Gould-Simpson building, Room 837. Breakfast and/or lunch will be catered at the beginning of each half-day session.
Starts at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m. on Saturday, September 17.