Gearing Up for the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
Co-sponsored by the Center for Science, Mathematics & Computer Education and the Institute for Research on Mathematics and Science Education
April 1–3, 2011
- Deborah Hughes-Hallett
- Jim Lewis
- William McCallum (Chair)
- Rebecca McGraw
- Cody Patterson
- William Schmidt
Local organizing committee
- Aubrey Neihaus
- Teresa Stovall
Participants in the workshop discussed the areas of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics that should be the initial target for professional development as states gear up to implement them. Later collaborative efforts will consider how professional development should be implemented; the focus of this workshop is on content.
Before the workshop, participants were sent tasks and problems that have been written to illustrate the Common Core's goal of raising standards through focus on a few critical areas, mathematical coherence across grade levels, and an emphasis on conceptual understanding. Participants used these tasks as a tool for engaging in conversations about content areas where the Standards require a step up in professional development, and areas that should be de-emphasized.
At the workshop, participants presented their findings and discussed the appropriate initial focus of PD materials supporting the Standards at the elementary, middle, and high school grade levels. They identifed existing materials that meet some of the needs and areas where additional materials are needed.
The workshop was held at the Westward Look Resort, located 245 East Ina Road, Tucson, AZ. Lodging was provided at the resort.
- Download the agenda (PDF)
- Word template for breakout groups
- PowerPoint template for reporting on K–8 and high school
- PowerPoint template for reporting on the mathematical practices
- Friday morning presentations: Introduction and reports from groups A, B, C, D, E, and F.
- Friday afternoon presentations: Groups A, B, C, D, E, and F. Presentations on mathematical practicies and habits of mind.
- Draft report of the policy workshop Gearing Up for the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics (PDF)